Recently, I (along with countless others) have been vilified as unloving as a Christian and selfish as a citizen for choosing against vaccination mandates. This is how I am processing being vilified regarding mandates.
Nowhere in the Bible can we find where God would direct us to take an experimental drug out of “love” for others. Please stop using God’s name in vain.
Exodus 20:7 Amplified Bible
You shall not use or repeat the name of the Lord your God in vain [that is, lightly or frivolously, in false affirmations or profanely]; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain.
Taking God’s name and using it in order to manipulate, gaslight or shame is a sin. Unless Scripture can interpret Scripture and speak conclusively on a particular matter, it is best not to assume God would command something when He hasn’t.
Not only do I believe Jesus does not command us to cooperate with a one-sided narrative being forced upon us or risk our own health for the sake of questionable advice from a corrupt government and Big Pharma, for me I believe it would be a sin if I DID take the shot.
To be clear, this doesn’t mean that I think it is a sin for others who choose to take the shot. God gives us His wisdom, His Word, and His Holy Spirit for discernment therefore I respect each person to be guided in their own choices. I will not belittle or disparage anyone for choosing what they believe is best for their sense of health. (Sadly, this isn’t true for those on both sides of the debate.)
I am an advocate for people to have medical freedom, uncensored information, and personal responsibility for their own immune systems. I cannot compromise my immune system to make you feel better about yours and I would not want you to put yourself at risk for mine. (Getting a shot, wearing a mask when I am healthy is not conducive to upholding my own immune system.) My health is my responsibility and your health is your responsibility. If taking a shot helps you feel more protected then, by all means, do what you feel is necessary. If the shot truly works and you have full confidence in it, then my NOT taking it should make no difference.
Here are the reasons why taking the shot AND being silent would be a sin FOR ME-
1. I am not afraid of the virus and refuse to live in a state of panic over it. Living in fear is no way to live and I believe it is sinful because it disobeys God’s repeated commands against this mindset. He calls us to be strong and courageous and to trust Him to direct our paths. At this point in time, He is not directing me to heed political spin or fear-mongering narratives but instead, verifiable science. (My social media accounts have plenty of testimony from pathologists, virologists, immunologists, physicians, etc to help educate regarding the caution of the vaccines and the preventative/early treatment options being recommended that have proven results.) I have a medical plan in place should I or anyone in my family come down with the virus. I have done my due diligence and am prepared if that should happen.
Joshua 1:9 Amplified Bible
Have not I commanded you? Be strong, vigorous, and very courageous. Be not afraid, neither be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.
2 Timothy 1:7 CSB
For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but one of power, love, and sound judgment.
2. I am convicted by God to be a good steward of the body and immune system He has given me. This leads me to make good choices (healthy diet, exercise, supplements, breathing fresh air, time outdoors, organic personal products and household essentials, etc ) that support health and to keep learning what helps my body and what harms it. I try to stick to natural measures if possible and in doing so, I have seen positive results in my own immunity. Therefore, placing my trust in a shot that is showing adverse reactions when the virus itself has a high rate of survivability would be to give way to fear and violate my conscience. My health is excellent at 54 and I need not fear the unknown of a virus that I may never get when there are known early treatment measures that are proving very effective if I do come down with the illness. I have more to fear from a shot that will not even provide immunity than the virus itself in my personal opinion. There is a risk whether I take it or whether I don’t. I may never get the virus so why knowingly accept harmful chemicals in my body when there may never be a true need for it? I have been exposed to the virus twice thus far and have not become infected. I am at peace with God calling me home from the virus rather than living with adverse reactions for a lifetime which will compromise the quality of my life. I don’t take the flu shots or shingles shots either so I am at peace with fostering my strong immunity rather than fear-mongering over a virus that I have 99% chance of surviving. People are declining this shot NOT because they merely want to be contrary to public opinion but because they actually have legitimate concerns over heeding exaggerated/false narratives and subjecting themselves to greater risk unnecessarily.
1 Corinthians 6:19-20 Amplified Bible
Do you not know that your body is the temple (the very sanctuary) of the Holy Spirit Who lives within you, Whom you have received [as a Gift] from God? You are not your own, You were bought with a price [purchased with a preciousness and paid for, made His own]. So then, honor God and bring glory to Him in your body.
Romans 14:23 Amplified Bible
But the man who has doubts (misgivings, an uneasy conscience) about eating, and then eats [perhaps because of you], stands condemned [before God], because he is not true to his convictions and he does not act from faith. For whatever does not originate and proceed from faith is sin [whatever is done without a conviction of its approval by God is sinful].
3. Because of the events from 2020-2021 that are undeniable and factual, I do not believe the exaggerated media hysteria that promotes this illness like the outbreak of the Spanish Flu of 1918 or the Bubonic Plague from the middle ages. Historical context and current statistical data prove a vast difference. When they stopped focusing on the number of deaths and instead of the number of “cases”, I began to distrust their motives and narrative. Having lost confidence in those “elected” to govern without bias or a political agenda, I have resorted to researching the truth for myself. Too many virologists, immunologists, physicians, nurses, former Pfizer VP/other employees, inventor of mRNA vaccine technology, and other scientists are speaking out for what is true, what is false, and what is downright dangerous. Because there are two sides of qualified medical personal with opposing viewpoints, I reserve the right for caution and direction from God for taking care of my immunity. I am under qualified medical care that I trust so I am not just winging this medical plan of my choice.
Proverbs 29:25 Amplified Bible
The fear of man brings a snare, but whoever leans on, trusts in, and puts his confidence in the Lord is safe and set on high.
Proverbs 12:15 EXB
Fools think they are doing right [LThe path of fools is virtuous/right in their own eyes], but the wise listen to advice.
Matthew 10:16 New International Version
I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves.
4. I am called to love others in their best interest (Biblical agape love) so to discern the level of propaganda being shoved down our throat, to see the censorship of only one side of the issue, witness a government denying people truthful information for preventative measures and early treatment, etc, I feel compelled to share the research I am finding with others who may be interested. I am not recommending anything in particular to other people. I only want to share what I am learning for others to make up their own mind. I have certainly appreciated other people sharing their information with me. Additionally, if I am to be like the good Samaritan, I have an obligation to care for the welfare of others. Withholding truth that can help them, not standing against falsehood that can harm them, these things would make me complicit in the lies assaulting our nation. To think that in order to be the good Samaritan I would need to inject chemicals into my body that are having terrible adverse reactions is ludicrous. That parable teaches nothing about the good Samaritan suffering bodily harm in order to care for his neighbor. It will cost time, money, and effort but it should not cost another person their own health. My husband, children, and grandchildren want my health to remain strong so my obligation is to them first in regard to my medical decisions.
Matthew 22:37-39 New International Version
Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.
Luke 10: 30-35 NIV
In reply Jesus said: “A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he was attacked by robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead. A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side. So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him. He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, brought him to an inn and took care of him. The next day he took out two denarii and gave them to the innkeeper. ‘Look after him,’ he said, ‘and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.’
5. I have a responsibility as a Christian to uphold truth and stand against falsehood. If I participate in falsehood, spread it, cave to it, then I will be in sin and held accountable by God. The last words of Jesus in the Bible give this warning. This is one of the reasons I feel convicted to share the resources I find so that others can decide for themselves after hearing BOTH sides of the argument regarding the virus. Censorship and propaganda are wrong. Period.
Revelation 22:14-16 Amplified Bible
Blessed (happy and to be envied) are those who cleanse their garments, that they may have the authority and right to [approach] the tree of life and to enter through the gates into the city.
[But] without are the dogs and those who practice sorceries (magic arts) and impurity [the lewd, adulterers] and the murderers and idolaters and everyone who loves and deals in falsehood (untruth, error, deception, cheating).
6. I cannot live my life in order to please others. God warns against the danger of fearing man more than God. Jesus certainly didn’t model people-pleasing and yet He loved others passionately and perfectly.
Galatians 1:10 NIV
Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ.
Proverbs 29:25 NIV
Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord is kept safe.
Psalm 118:8 NIV
It is better to take refuge in the LORD than to trust in man.
7. The Lord expects us to uphold justice. It is not right to sit by idly while others are suffering from lockdowns and mandates, losing their jobs and ability to provide for their families. For big retailers to be allowed to run their businesses while small businesses are not or others losing their jobs because they value medical freedom is a grave injustice indeed! I feel convicted to speak up for individual rights to work and care for their families. I have been accused of not being compassionate because I value personal medical freedom but where is the compassion to force people to inject themselves with dangerous chemicals just because it will make others feel safer? Compassion goes both ways. Besides, the shot has already been proven to not protect against transmission.
Psalm 89:14 New International Version
Righteousness and justice are the foundation of your throne;
love and faithfulness go before you.
Psalm 103:6 New International Version
The Lord works righteousness and justice for all the oppressed.
Proverbs 29:7 NIV
The righteous care about justice for the poor, but the wicked have no such concern.
Isaiah 1:17 NIV
Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.
8. Lastly, I am to dwell on what is good and right and lovely, not what could happen negatively tomorrow. For me to fixate on the risk or danger from the virus, on all the “cases” and fear-mongering, this only robs me of my peace. Therefore, I choose to celebrate the advances in the medical field since 2020 when this virus began. The deaths are greatly lowered, preventative measures like Vitamin D3, C, and Zinc are helping, along with early treatments like Ivermectin, Hydroxychloroquine, and Regeneron Antibody therapy. God is faithfully providing and I will not rob Him of His glory by grumbling and complaining or fretting my life away.
Philippians 4:4-9 NIV
Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.
John 14:27 New International Version
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.
These are a few of the convictions that are heavy on my heart as a Christian and as a citizen. As a Bible teacher, I seek to use all of the Bible to discern the right path in life, not just one or two cherry-picked verses. God IS love, but even He has boundaries. His character reveals that He would sacrifice His own Son for our sin so that we can be reconciled to Him. And yet, if we choose not to accept His free gift of salvation, He doesn’t negate the consequences of that choice. As much as Jesus came to serve and not be served, He does not model being over-responsible in that service.
This all started with 2 weeks to flatten the curve and that is understandable. But what is unacceptable is for that to become a long-term plan. It is not selfish to go to work, or school, or have a wedding or a funeral. This virus is supposedly the third leading cause of death for 2020, although I do not doubt for a second there were many that were listed falsely just to inflate the numbers. So what about heart disease and cancer? Why are we not mandating no more fast-food restaurants? Or mandating exercise? Or no more cigarettes or vaping? Where are all the mandates for the first two leading causes of death?
Life involves risk and it is a person’s individual responsibility to weigh those risks. Do we ban cars so that there is no more risk of traffic fatalities? Or no more airlines to avoid the risk of a plane going down? Or no more swimming so there are no drownings?
It grieves me where we are as a nation, endowed by our Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. When we are being mandated by our elected officials to take a shot, stay home from work or school, shut down our businesses, stay away from public beaches and parks, wear masks even when we are healthy, prove we are healthy by taking numerous tests, cancel events and trips, kept from our loved ones who are in the hospitals or nursing homes, denied gathering for funerals, etc then this indeed puts us in harm’s way.
These mandates are not about insignificant rights but the ability to take care of ourselves and our families. Our “medical safety” is our responsibility, not the government’s. When the authorities disrupt the care from doctor to patient, then something is terribly wrong.
As my wise husband has often said, the government should not be in the business of picking winners and losers. When big retail can be open and small businesses cannot, something is terribly wrong.
When politicians can disobey the mandates while everyday Americans cannot, something is terribly wrong.
In essence, I am against tyranny as a Christian and a citizen. If that makes me vilified, then so be it.
Here is a helpful link so you can be your own advocate and medically informed-
Evelina Ellingham says
I’m so happy to hear that you have stayed true to the course. Our bodies belong to Yahweh, not mankind. Keep up the faithful fight against the enemy.
Gretchen Fleming says
Thank you! That is very well said. Our bodies belong to the LORD! May He bless you and keep you!
Thank you. This is one of the best and most comprehensive articles on how to deal with what we’re facing as Christians at this moment.
Gretchen Fleming says
God is so faithful to use this post for His purpose! Thank you for that encouragement! May He continue to lead His flock with truth and grace and grant us courage for our days.
I love this and would be interested in what you’ve learned about prevention and early treatment. A verse that the Lord showed me when I was seeking Him over this stuff, was Isiah 8:11-13 NLT. The Lord has given me a strong warning to not think like everyone else does. He said, Don’t call everything a conspiracy like they do, and don’t live in dread of what frightens them. Make the Lord of Heavens Armies holy in your life. He is the one you should fear. He is the one who should make you tremble.